Elizabeth Latif is an accomplished attorney, litigator and trusted strategic advisor representing companies and individuals with the defense of regulatory, white-collar criminal, and complex civil litigation matters.
She is an intuitive and results-oriented litigator with a record of successful bench and jury trials and appeals. She has represented and advised a diverse group of clients building a reputation for achieving client objectives and for identifying effective and creative solutions that manage risk and costs and protect business entities. She’s also served as a firm leader and a member of key litigation practice groups and firm management committees.
Her background includes experience as an Assistant U.S. Attorney investigating and prosecuting matters involving allegations of financial fraud, tax offenses, mortgage fraud, cybercrime, international terrorist financing, public corruption and others, including one of the largest commercial cases out of the New York office of Customs and Border Protection.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Federal Criminal Rules Committee for the U.S. District of Connecticut
- Connecticut Bar Association, Federal Practice Section
- Federal Bar Council, Connecticut Committee
- Eastern District Association
- New England Women in White Collar Defense
- American Bar Association
- Hartford County Bar Association
- Women's White Collar Defense Association, Founder, CT Chapter
- Represented numerous clients in appeals proceedings before the First and Second Circuits.
- Represented public company in connection with enforcement proceedings brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC").
- Represented executive of multinational corporation in connection with investigation by the Department of Justice ("DOJ") into alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA").
- Successfully represented individual in SEC insider trading investigation in which no charges were brought.
- Represented audit firm in response to subpoenas from the SEC for documents and testimony.
- Represented controller of commodities trading firm in relation to SEC investigation regarding allegations of insider trading.
- Represented financial adviser in relation to SEC investigation regarding allegations of insider trading.
- Represented corporation in connection with investigation by the Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC") alleging violations of the Iranian Transactions and Sanctions Regulations.
- Counseled individual clients on compliance with OFAC regulations.
- Advised a Fortune 500 company on its export control policies and compliance systems.
- Represented a national corporation in a federal investigation alleging False Claims Act ("FCA") violations.
- Represented defense contractor in civil FCA litigation.
- Served as local counsel in case involving individuals charged with fraud in connection with USDA export financing program
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of public company in connection with errors in accounting related to restated financials.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of utility regarding bidding practices and claims of environmental contamination.
Law Offices of Elizabeth A. Latif, PLLC, West Hartford, CT | 2017-present
Attorney Latif represents companies and individuals in connection with the defense of regulatory, white-collar criminal and complex civil-litigation matters. Assists clients with internal investigations and conducts corporate-governance and compliance reviews. Drafts and argues appeals. Serves on the Criminal Justice Act panels for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Serves on the Local Criminal Rules Committee for the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut. Selected as Super Lawyer® for White Collar Crime in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Served as Legal Practice Professor at University of Connecticut School of Law from 2018-2019 academic year.
Day Pitney LLP, Hartford, CT. | 2012 – 2017
Partner, Commercial Litigation - White Collar Defense and Internal Investigations and Securities Enforcement Defense
Represented companies and individuals in connection with the defense of regulatory, white-collar criminal and complex civil-litigation matters. Assisted clients with internal investigations and conduct corporate-governance and compliance reviews. Served in a leadership role with the Day Pitney Attorneys of Color Network. Served on the Hiring Committee.
U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the Eastern District of New York, District of Connecticut | 2006 - 2012
Assistant United States Attorney
Served as lead prosecutor in cases involving financial fraud, tax offenses, mortgage fraud, cybercrime, international terrorist financing, and public corruption on behalf of the United States at trial and appellate levels, including nationally recognized terrorism prosecutions. Served as the lead trial lawyer in numerous federal criminal jury trials. Handled multiple criminal appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Served detail on President Obama’s Guantanamo Review Task Force, assisting in determining outcomes for detainees.
Ropes & Gray LLP, Boston, MA. | Summer 2000; 2003 - 2004
Associate, Litigation Department, (2003-2004); Summer Associate, Corporate and Litigation Departments, (2000)
Handled complex white collar and civil litigation matters and corporate transactions.
- Honorable Chester J. Straub, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, New York, NY | 2004 - 2006
- Honorable Christopher F. Droney, U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, Hartford, CT. | 2001 - 2003
- Named “Super Lawyer®” for White Collar litigation, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Named one of 150 “Women in White Collar” by Corporate Crime Reporter, 2016
- Named one of the Connecticut Law Tribune's "New Leaders in the Law" for 2013
- Appointed to the Criminal Justice Act Panel of the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Appointed to the Criminal Justice Act Panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Appointed to the Criminal Justice Act Panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Appointed to the Federal Criminal Rules Committee for the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Completed The Partnership Inc.'s leadership development program for professionals from diverse backgrounds
- Mentioned, "Judge Axes Chopper Blades FCA Suit against Sikorsky," Law360, June 19, 2017
- Featured, “150 Women in White Collar,” Corporate Crime Reporter, June 30, 2016
- Quoted, "Attorneys React To High Court's Hobbs Act Extortion Ruling," Law360, May 2, 2016
- Mentioned, "Career Ladder," The Hartford Courant, January 12, 2016
- Mentioned, "Two Big Conn. Law Firms Make Partner Promotions," The Connecticut Law Tribune, December 29, 2015
- Mentioned, "New Partners for Day Pitney," New Jersey Business, December 29, 2015
- Featured, “Day Pitney Promotes Seven Partners,” Day Pitney Press Release, December, 28, 2015
- Quoted, "What New Litigators Can Do To Win Their First Trial," Law360, April 29, 2015
- Featured, "Susan Ylitalo and Elizabeth Latif Named 'New Leaders in the Law' by CT Law Tribune," Day Pitney Press Release, November 5, 2013
- “Preventing, Confronting and Surviving Cyber Incidents for In-House Counsel,” Hartford, CT, May 17, 2017
- "Cyber Security for Lawyers in the Hackable World," American College of Investment Counsel's 2017 Spring Investment Forum, Chicago, IL, April 28, 2017
- “The False Claims Act After Escobar,” NCMA Boston's 56th Annual March Workshop, National Contract Management Association, Boston Chapter, March 8, 2017
- “Cyber Risk: Ethics, New Cyber Regulations and the Insurance Industry,” Day Pitney CLE Seminar, January 12, 2017
- “SEC Whistleblower Rules Update,” Meeting of the Day Pitney Insurance Compliance Best Practices Group, November 11, 2015
- “MBA in a Day for Lawyers,” MassMutual Training Center, Springfield, MA, September 8, 2015
- "SEC Whistleblower Rules," Insurance Compliance Best Practices Meeting, November 19, 2012
- “Case Study: Eastern District of New York - Counterfeit Luxury Goods & Corrupt Freight Forwarders,” New York/New Jersey Intellectual Property Rights Conference, PLI, November 5, 2009
- “The False Claims Act After Escobar: A Three-Part Test,” Business Crimes Bulletin, September 8, 2016
- "Search and Seizure," Connecticut Criminal Procedure, October 22, 2015
- "Tolling Provisions Is Only Worth The Language That's Written," Law360, September 17, 2014
- "Bank Fraud Defined," Business Crimes Bulletin, July 2014
- "Second Circuit Rejects Fourth Amendment Challenge To Foreign Evidence Obtained Through MLAT," FCPA Professor, September 19, 2013
- "Defining Moment: 'Foreign Official' Under the FCPA," Business Crimes Bulletin, August 1, 2013
- "Practice Tip: The Scope of Daubert in Product Liability Class Actions," LJN's Product Liability Law & Strategy Newsletter, March 2013
- Apologetic Justice: Evaluating Apologies Tailored Toward Legal Solutions, 81 B.U.L. Rev. 289 (2001)